This policy applies to customer information we collect in India at Walmart stores and through our websites.
Walmart (referred to as “Walmart”) recognizes the importance of our customers' privacy. We believe that privacy is more than an issue of compliance – it is one of trust. We strive to manage your personal information based on our basic belief of respect for the individual. This policy describes:
- How and why we collect your personal information.
- How your information is used and protected.
- When and with whom we share your information.
- The choices you can make about how we collect, use, and share your information.
Notice and Scope of Our Privacy Practices
Our goal is to provide clear, prominent, and easily accessible information about our privacy practices. This policy applies to customer information obtained by Walmart in connection with its operations, both in stores and online, in India.
Collection of Information
We collect information about you, with written consent, to deliver the products and services you request and to help improve your shopping experience. We strive to limit the amount of personal information collected to support the intended purpose of the collection.
The Personal Information (“PI”) we collect may include contact and payment information like your name, email and physical addresses, phone numbers, and credit and debit card information. When you ask us to ship an order, we may collect information you provide us such as the name, address, and phone number of recipients. For certain transactions, we may be required to collect information to comply with legal requirements.
This information may include, in certain cases, “Sensitive personal data or information” as explained below:
Sensitive personal data or information, of a person shall include information collected, received, stored, transmitted or processed by body corporate or intermediary or any person, consisting of :
- User details as provided at the time of registration or thereafter; for example Residential Address, personal phone numbers, emails address etc.
- information related to financial information such as Bank/credit card information other payment instrument details of the users;
- Physiological and mental health condition;
- Medical records and history;
- Biometric information; for example finger/thumb impressions, iris scans, etc
- Information received by body corporate for processing, stored or processed under lawful contract or otherwise; Information regarding bank transactions, statements of accounts, PAN Numbers, License numbers, tax related information etc.
- Call data records and logs;
We collect Personal Information from you in a variety of ways when you interact with Walmart, both in stores and online. Some examples are when you:
- Enroll as a member of our stores;
- Create an account on one of our websites;
- Make an online or in-store purchase from us;
- Use a gift registry;
- Conduct a transaction where we collect personal information, including when required by law and regulations;
- Request customer service or contact us;
- Submit a Walmart related story, testimonial, rating or review, or other user-generated content that may be posted on the site;
- Participate in a contest, sweepstake, promotion, or survey; or
- Otherwise submit personal information to us along with any related content of the communication.
Information from Other Sources
We may receive personal information about you from other sources as well. Examples of these sources are entities that can help us correct or supplement our records, improve the quality or personalization of our service to you, and help prevent or detect fraud.
Automated Information Collection
We receive and store certain types of information when you interact with our websites, emails, and online advertising. Our purpose is to allow the websites to work correctly, to evaluate use of the website, and to support website analytics and marketing campaigns. Some examples include:
- We may collect technical information such as your internet protocol address, your computer’s operating system and browser type, the address of a referring website, if any, and the path you take through our web pages.
- We use “cookies” to recognize you as you use or return to our sites. This is done so that we can provide a continuous and more personalized shopping experience for you. A cookie is a small text file that a website or email may save to your browser and store on your hard drive. As an option, you may disable your cookies. Please refer to your browser help for details.
- We may also use web beacons. Beacons allow us to know if a certain page was visited, an email was opened, or if ad banners on our website and other sites were effective.
- We operate cameras in stores for security and operational purposes, such as to measure traffic patterns. Except for security purposes, we do not use these cameras to identify you personally.
How We Use Your Information
Walmart uses your information to offer and provide our products and services and to support our core business functions. These include order or service fulfillment, internal business processes, marketing, authentication, loss and fraud prevention, public safety and legal functions. Some examples include:
- To fulfill your requests for products and services and communicate with you about those requests;
- To register and service your account / membership;
- To administer surveys, sweepstakes, contests, and promotions;
- To provide customer service and alert you to product information, including recalls;
- To help us improve and customize our service offerings, websites, and advertising;
- To send you information about our products, services, and promotions; and
- To protect the security or integrity of our websites and our business and
- To ensure compliance as per legal and statutory requirements, such as for fraud detection.
- To accomplish these purposes, we may combine personal and non-personal information we collect online with offline information, including information from third parties. We may transfer or disclose your information within our corporate family of companies for these purposes.
How We Disclose Your Information outside Walmart
Walmart does not sell or rent your personal information to third parties. We only disclose your personal information after notifying you and with your prior consent and approval, under the following limited circumstances. Please note that any such disclosure made with your consent is limited to strictly on a need to know basis and only for the notified purpose.
We may disclose or otherwise make available personal information about you to service providers that help with our business operations. Examples are shipping vendors, billing and refund vendors, payment card processors, and companies that help us improve our product and service offerings and our websites. Your personal information may be stored and processed by our service providers in India or the United States or other locations where the service providers or Walmart and/or Walmart maintains facilities. We require our service providers to keep your information secure. In addition, our service providers may not use or disclose personal information for any purpose other than providing the services on our behalf.
We further seek to secure the information shared with service providers by taking adequate measures including execution of a non-disclosure agreement, verifying that the service providers adopt reasonable level of security standards and are compliant with the laws and regulations governing privacy.
Legal Requirements and Protection of Our Company and Others
We may disclose your information in other special circumstances. These include situations when the sharing is necessary to protect the safety, property, or other rights of Walmart, our customers, our associates, or any other person, or where otherwise required by law. Examples include protecting the health or safety of customers, or addressing crimes committed on Walmart property. Information from in-store security cameras may also be provided to law enforcement upon written request. Walmart may provide your personal information in response to a search warrant or other legally valid inquiry or order, or to an investigative body in the case of a breach of an agreement or contravention of law, or as otherwise required by applicable law.
From time to time with your express consent, we may disclose information with carefully selected companies who may offer you products and services of interest. You may opt in or opt out of this through your Membership enrollment form or by writing in to us by letter, fax or e-mail. The information disclosed is strictly on a need to know basis and no additional information other than basic contact information as per your preference is disclosed.
We may transfer any information we have about you in connection with a merger or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of Walmart or as part of a corporate reorganization or stock sale or other change in corporate control.
Your Consent Data Collection, Use, or Disclosure
Walmart collects, uses, or discloses your personal information consistent with this policy. The method of obtaining consent is appropriate for the type of personal information being collected, used, or disclosed. For example, we will obtain your express consent (written letter, fax, email, or electronic agreement) to collect, use, or disclose personal information in accordance with law.
We communicate with you in ways you want to hear from us. At the time of registration, you may choose the preferred mode of communication on the form or you may opt out of receiving such marketing information. Examples are newsletters, special offers, and new product announcements. We use the following standards for marketing communications:
- We use an opt-in standard for phone and text messages. We also use an opt-in standard for sharing personal information with third parties for marketing purposes. Opt-in means we will only conduct the activity with your “express” consent.
- We use an opt-out standard for email or for other communications like mail, text messaging and newsletters.
You may contact the Privacy Office as described below, to make changes to your preferences. If you contact us by email or mail, please be sure to include your full name, the types of communications you would like to receive or not receive, and your related contact information. For instance, if you would like to opt out of mail, include your mailing address. Please allow sufficient time for your preferences to be processed. It may take up to 30 days to process your requests related to email and 4-6 weeks for other requests.
Please be aware that, even if you have opted out of receiving marketing communications from us, we may still contact you for transactional purposes. Some examples are contacts for customer service, product information, service or reminder notices, or recalls. We may also need to contact you with questions or information regarding your order, such as regarding order status, shipment, or refunds.
Online Operations and Advertising
You may exercise choices related to our online operations and advertising. For instance, you can choose to browse our websites without accepting cookies Please know that cookies allow us to recognize you from page to page, and they support your transactions with us. Without cookies enabled, you will still be able to browse our websites, but will not be able to complete a purchase or take advantage of certain website features.
To learn more about “cookies”, including how to refuse/ disable cookies on your computer, please refer to your browser’s help and how-to guide.
You may also opt-out of certain online advertising called interest-based advertising. Interest-based ads are ads that are served to you based on your browsing behavior. The goal is to show you ads more tailored to your interests.
We may use how you browse and shop in order to show you advertisements on our website that are more relevant to your interests. As an example, if you browse for electronics with us or other sites, we may show you ads for electronics as you browse our website. Advertisements may relate to Walmart or our advertising partners. We do not disclose personal data about you with advertising partners to place an ad for them. We only retain data related to the ads for legitimate business purposes.
In addition, we belong to ad networks that may use your browsing history across participating websites to show you interest-based advertisements on those websites. You may see ads for Walmart on participating websites based on how you browse our website and those sites. We do not allow the network provider to provide your browsing behavior on our website to other websites.
You may opt-out of either interest-based advertising on our website, or interest-based advertising on other sites, as described above. Other websites you visit may offer their own opt-out methods as well. If you do opt-out of interest-based advertisements, you may still see advertisements on websites you visit, just not ads based on your browsing behavior.
How to Access and Update Your Information
Walmart takes reasonable steps to keep your personal information accurate and complete. You can access or update your personal information, including contact or account information, in the following ways:
- If you have created an account on one of our websites, log into your account. Once you do, you will be able to enter and update your own contact information and payment information, as well as contact information for recipients you have designated.
- Contact us at the email or postal address listed in the “Contact Us” section at the bottom of this policy. Please include your current contact information, the information you are interested in accessing, and your requested changes. We will provide you the personal information requested if reasonably available, unless it infringes on the privacy of other individuals and subject to reasonable limitations provided by law and internal procedures. Otherwise we will describe the types of information we typically collect. We will provide access and make changes you request, or will provide an explanation of what actions we will be able to take with regard to the request.
- If you need help accessing your information related to a service provided by a third party, we will assist you by referring you to the third party. Please contact us via the “Contact Us” section below.
How We Secure Your Information
Your account information is protected by the password you use to access your online account. Please keep this password confidential. We also use a technology called Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). If your browser is capable of SSL (and most are), your account information will be protected during transport across the Internet. When you enter a secure portion of a website, which is any page containing any of your account information, an image of a closed lock or a solid key should appear in the bottom bar of your browser window. If you click on this image, a small pop-up window displaying website security information will appear. This display indicates that your personal information is transmitted in encrypted form to a Walmart web server, not to some unknown or unauthorized server.
Hard Copy and Electronic Storage Protections
Personal information that is maintained in our offices or stores is subject to physical, administrative, and technical controls as well. Hard copies of sensitive personal information are maintained in locked locations or cabinets with similar restrictions for electronic storage. When disposed of, the information is shredded, destroyed, erased, or otherwise sought to be made unreadable.
The information so provided or collected by the Company is maintained under physical, electronic and procedural safeguards which limit access to authorized personnel and are reasonable and compliant with applicable laws to guard such data against loss, unauthorized access, destruction, misuse, modification and improper disclosure. For example, security guards are deployed at various entry and exit points and critical areas to prevent unauthorized entry, additionally secure access cards are issued to employees, which are requisite to access any office areas, workspace and other areas where data is stored. Surveillance and monitoring is also ensured by means of video cameras that have been installed at strategic locations.
Data on systems is protected by secure passwords and is accessible to authorized personnel only. Associates / Employees are strictly prohibited from sharing their systems or their passwords. Every Associate signs an Associate Employment Agreement, which contains a specific obligation not to reveal confidential information, which includes personal data. Associates are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations
Privacy Protections for Specific Types of Information Financial Products and Services
When you obtain financial products and services from us, we may collect and use certain financial-related information. We understand the sensitive nature of this information as well, and protect it in accordance with laws and our policies. Financial products and services include money orders, money transfers, credit card offerings, bill payment, and check cashing.
We protect payment card information we collect during transactions. We comply with industry standards that require safeguards for handling and securing customer information. These include using secure networks; encryption or other protection of cardholder data; physical and technical access controls; monitors and tests of security systems; and information security policies.
Privacy of Children Online
We are committed to protecting children’s online privacy. Our website is a general audience website not geared towards children. In order to protect the privacy of children, Walmart websites do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 18 without prior parental consent. Please contact us if you believe we may have collected information from your child and we will work to delete it.
As a global company, Walmart and Walmart have separate privacy policies for their international offices. Personal information about our customers may be processed and stored in India or the United States or any other country in which Walmart or our service providers maintain facilities. Globally, Walmart requires our family of companies to protect your personal information, regardless of where it is stored, in accordance with local laws and our policies.
Retention and Deletion of Information
We shall retain the information collected from you for the purpose as indicated till completion of the specific purpose for which it was collected. With respect to transaction we maintain records after completion of the transaction, for record and security purposes as required by regulations. Once you opt out from a service, we shall discontinue the service as per your request. We may retain only necessary information such as contact details to communicate any important information.
All other data such as physical copies of information relating to personal information is shredded and destroyed once the purpose for which it was obtained has been fulfilled.
Please feel free to contact the privacy office with any questions or comments about this policy or about how your information is handled. You can also contact our Privacy Office via the addresses below:
Walmart India Pvt.Ltd.
4th Floor, Orchid Center,
Golf Course Road, Sector 53
Gurgaon 122002. (Haryana) India
Contact No: +91-124-4568500